Skip to main content

Centralia Elementary School District

Enrollment and Student Transfers

Welcome to Centralia - we are enrolling NOW!


Time for Kindergarten
Click HERE for Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten Registration Information for current and upcoming school year.
Enrolling a NEW student in the District? 


Centralia Elementary School District’s (CESD) open enrollment event period is JANUARY 15 to MARCH 15 of every year, however you can enroll now.
. During this time, parents have the opportunity to request either an interdistrict transfer (to or from a school outside CESD) or an intradistrict transfer (from one school to another school within CESD).

The procedures for submitting an interdistrict or intradistrict transfers are as follows:
  • Obtain and complete the appropriate form (inter or intradistrict). Forms may be obtained at the District office, school office or online at under the “Students and Parents” tab.
  • Deliver your form to the District Office at 6625 La Palma Avenue, Building A, Buena Park, during the open enrollment period. On January 15,  the first day of Open Enrollment for 2019/20 school year, the hours to accept transfers will be as follows: 8:00 – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. 
  • After March 15, permits will be accepted during regular office hours 8:00 – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. at the District office. Please note that school offices may NOT process requests.
  • All transfer applications will be logged in and parents will receive a receipt upon submission of the transfer request form. Permits received by mail will be logged in as they are received. Requests will be granted by lottery with priority given to returning students, students with siblings attending the school and Intradistrict Transfers based on available space.
  • Requests submitted after the deadline will be considered only after all applications received during the open enrollment period have been offered placements based on available space.
  • Parents will receive notification at the end of the school year as to the disposition of their request for transfer.
Please note that the law provides that a school district may deem a pupil as having complied with the residency requirements for school attendance if one or both parents/ guardians of a student are employed within the boundaries of the district. An interdistrict transfer form must be completed for requests for transfer based on employment.

Education Code section 48980(h), Education Code section 35160.5(b)(1), Education Code section 48204(b)
FAQ - About Open Enrollment
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers About Open Enrollment:

Centralia School District’s (CSD) open enrollment period is JANUARY 15 to MARCH 15 ANNUALLY

How do I enroll my child in my “home” school?
Families with students new to CSD who want to attend their home school will need to register ONLINE first, then take the completed print out along with the child’s birth certificate, proof of address and immunization records to their home school. For more information, please call your home school.
What’s the difference between Intradistrict and Interdistrict?
Intradistrict is from one school to another school within CSD.

Interdistrict means students whose home school is in another district.
Can my child go to any school in the Centralia School District?
Yes – all transfers will be considered depending upon space availability at the requested school.
Can I apply to more than one school?
Yes – parents may request up to two schools.
What do you mean by “space available”?
The District has a contract agreement with the Centralia Education Association that will not allow for classes to exceed District averages based on grade spans and class sizes. In order to determine “space available,” the District monitors grade span averages and class sizes. If a school demonstrates an average higher than the predetermined contractual average, they are deemed “closed” for transfers in that particular grade level and/or grade span.
When will I find out if my child had been accepted?
We will notify you by mail AFTER May 2019 if your transfer has been approved.
If my child is accepted, is there still a chance that he/she would not be allowed to attend that school?
Yes - although we will do everything we can to avoid that situation. Intradistrict and Interdistrict transfers can be revoked at any time to accommodate resident students.
If my permit is revoked, then where would my child go to school?
If you selected a second choice school we would check and see if they have room, otherwise your child would return to your home school.
What if I don’t apply during the Open Enrollment Period?
Transfers received after the close of Open Enrollment (JANUARY 15 to MARCH 15) will be date and time stamped and reviewed in the order received and placed on a waiting list.
If my Interdistrict transfer is accepted, do I have to go through the same procedure every year?
Yes – all students on transfers must submit updated Interdistrict transfers each year.
As a parent of an Intradistrict Transfer student, I know that students from other districts attend school in CSD. Can Interdistrict Transfers be placed ahead of my child? 
No – Intradistrict Transfers take precedence over Interdistrict Transfers.
What if one of my children is accepted to the school of choice but my other children are not?
CSD makes every effort to keep families together whenever possible. If the school is able to accommodate all siblings in a family, we will make every attempt to do so, however, if certain grade levels are impacted we would not be able to accommodate your request.
What if one of my children already attends a school other than his/her home school? Is his/her sibling guaranteed a space there?
No - although siblings are always considered, approval is always dependent upon space availability.
My child is already on an Intradistrict Transfer will he/she be able to stay there?
Yes – all Intradistrict Transfers are approved for the remainder of their elementary years, dependent upon space available.
What are the steps to apply for an Intradistict Transfer for my new Kindergartner?
  1. Come to the CSD office during Open Enrollment, JANUARY 15 to MARCH 15, 2019, and fill out an Intradistrict Transfer.
  2. We will notify you by mail AFTER May 2019 if your transfer has been approved.
  3. Meanwhile, register your child during Kindergarten Registration (beginning January 15) ONLINE and tell them you have a transfer pending.
  4. If your transfer is approved, we will forward your kindergarten registration packet to the approved school.
  5. If the transfer is denied, your kindergarten registration packet will remain at your home school.
Can my transfer be rescinded?

Yes - All transfers may be rescinded for the following reasons
  • If student is excessively tardy or absent from school, or is brought to school excessively early or left excessively late.
  • If student fails to uphold appropriate behavior standards.
  • If student has poor academic performance.
  • Insufficient space in the school and/or grade level.
  • False or misleading information was provided.
  • If student or parents fail to follow school rules.